General Counsel Institute: Going Beyond Legal (Livestream)
This multi-day, online program brings together a wide range of executives from the C-suite and beyond to discuss how they work with in-house legal professionals. Sessions include fireside chats between CEOs and GCs, presentations by seasoned executives from a range of industries, and talks by other leaders who will share their experiences working cross-functionally to achieve organizational goals.
Thank you for attending the GC Institute: Going Beyond Legal! We hope to see you in Berkeley, CA for our in-person GC Institute on August 3-4, 2023.
All times Pacific (PDT).
Tuesday, April 18, 2023
- 9:05 AM-9:40 AM — GCs as Business Strategists and Catalysts | Kodwo Ghartey-Tagoe (EVP & Chief Legal Officer, Duke Energy)
- 10:15 AM-10:50 AM — Supreme Court Roundup | Erwin Chemerinsky (Dean, Berkeley Law)
- 11:30 AM-12:05 PM — Moving From a Functional Cost Center to a Strategic, Business Facing Partner | Marta Newhart (Former Chief Communications & Brand Officer, Westinghouse Electric Company)
Wednesday, April 19, 2023
- 8:40 AM-9:10 AM — Rethinking Governance and Shareholder Engagement | KT Rabin (Advisory Board, Columbia Law School Millstein Center) and Nichol Garzon (Chief Legal Officer, Glass Lewis)
- 9:40 AM-10:10 AM — Commercial Transactions: Lessons from the Classroom | Patrick Hammon (Partner, Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP) and Jose Lopez (General Counsel, Zeplin)
- 10:40 AM-11:10 AM — How to be Successful in Times of Uncertainty and Change | Sterling Miller (CEO and Senior Counsel, Hilgers Graben)
- 11:40 AM-12:10 PM — Developing and Managing Your IP Strategy and Budget | Lee Van Pelt (Partner, Van Pelt, Yi & James LLP)
Thursday, April 20, 2023
- 8:40 AM-9:10 AM — Communicating with Impact | Anya Grossmann (Director of Global Outreach and Professional Engagement at Berkeley Law and Leadership in the Legal Profession Instructor)
- 9:40 AM-10:10 AM — Creating Value Through Corporate Purpose | Duane Hughes (Managing Director and Chair, Americas Advisory Council, UBS) and Claudette Pulido (Executive Director, Morgan Stanley)
- 10:40 AM-11:10 AM — Fireside Chat with Jeff Shell (CEO of NBCUniversal) and Jim Gilbert (Executive Director, Berkeley Law Executive Education)
- 11:40 AM-12:10 PM — ESG and the Role of the In-House Lawyer | Silvia Garrigó (Faculty, University of Miami Herbert Business School)