- This event has passed.
Open Source Investigations Workshop
January 6, 2020 - January 10, 2020$2550
Our five-day intensive workshop will provide hands-on training in open source investigations skills, legal, and digital security techniques required for collecting, analyzing and documenting publicly available online information for use in law, advocacy, or journalism. CLE credits available to lawyers.
In this certificate earning workshop you will engage with leading academics, lawyers, advocates and cybersecurity experts to learn the tools and techniques of open source investigations. You will learn start-to-finish how to uncover the truth about disputed events, examining publicly available materials such as satellite images, social-media posts, videos, and online databases. You will learn advanced methods of searching for publicly accessible information, verifying the authenticity of that information, geo-locating relevant data, and archiving information. You will also have an opportunity to practice the skills you’ve just learned by launching your own investigations, with the guidance of expert instructors.
This workshop will provide you with the knowledge and tools necessary to apply your new skill set immediately to your profession. Lawyers: Please contact us if you are interested in earning CLE credits.
In this certificate workshop you will learn:
- Substantive and procedural law
- Methods for identifying and collecting digital evidence
- Principles and practices based on the forthcoming international protocol on open source investigations
- Ethics principles and ethical decision-making
- Privacy and data protection regimes
- Security practices, including risk assessment and mitigation strategies (digital, physical and psychosocial)
- How to prepare an online investigation plan
- Documentation and information management techniques
- Advanced search and monitoring methods
- Determining what to collect and how to collect it
- Preservation and digital archiving
- Source evaluation and attribution analysis
- Verification methods for different types of online content
- Social network and link analysis
- Video and imagery comparison (including geolocation)
- Tracking persons, movements and supply chains
- Data visualization, mind-mapping and report writing
- Resiliency tools, techniques, and strategies for effectively and appropriately handling emotionally challenging open source content