Last year, women across the globe were tweeting #MeToo. This year, we’re organizing for solutions.
On May 14, 2019, legal scholars and practitioner-experts from around the world will gather at Berkeley Law with lawyers and other specialists. The goal of this conference is to examine the systemic issues that permit sexual harassment and explore creative solutions developed across the globe to address the problem using the tools of comparative law.
- Panel discussions on how the worldwide #MeToo movement has affected women’s lives across the globe, and how resistance to the movement endangers its successes.
- Workshops on the role of the general counsel and board, workplace investigations, litigation, law reform, social media, the role of artists, harassment prevention, and harassment viewed through the lens of race, sexual orientation, disability, and class.
- Keynote presentations by:
- Catharine MacKinnon, Professor of Law, University of Michigan/Harvard, who pioneered the legal claim for sexual harassment as sex discrimination in employment and education;
- Purna Sen, Executive Coordinator and Spokesperson on Addressing Sexual Harassment and Other Forms of Discrimination, United Nations;
- Saru Jayaraman, Co-Founder and Co-Director of the Restaurant Opportunities Centers United (ROC United), Director of the Food Labor Research Center at UC Berkeley, and San Francisco Chronicle 2019 Visionary of the Year for her advocacy for restaurant workers’ rights, including against sexual harassment.
- Harassment experts from Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America and South America.
- Speakers include law professors, lawyers, general counsel, journalists, and other specialists.
When & Where
Tuesday, May 14, 2019
UC Berkeley School of Law
Who should apply
Attorneys, business leaders and other specialists who want to:
- Learn how the global movement against sexual harassment is changing the workplace.
- Join the conversation on how to use the law as a tool to prevent and remedy harassment.
For attorneys, this course will be approved for up to 8 hours of California MCLE credit, which will include 1 hour of elimination of bias credit.
Regular Program Rate: $450
UC Berkeley Alumni Rate: $375
Recent graduates and persons working with non-profits may request a partial reduction.
The fees cover all tuition, course materials, and meals during the event. Travel and accommodation are not included.
All fees are quoted in US dollars.
For disability accommodation requests and information, please contact Lily Yang at email@example.com. Please attempt to make your service request with as much advance notice as possible.
Republic of Ireland
Reid Professor of Criminal Law, Criminology and Penology,
Trinity College Dublin
Professor of Law, Labor and Social Security,
Hacettepe University, Ankara
Civil Rights Trial Attorney,
United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Florida
Attorney and Secretary General, Human Rights Now
Professor, Universidad de los Andes, Colombia
Director of the Food Labor Research Center and Assistant Adjunct Professor of Public Policy at University of California, Berkeley
Associate Professor of Law, The University of Hong Kong
Advocate, Preventive Law & Equality Compliance, Gurgaon, India
James Barr Ames Visiting Professor of Law at Harvard Law School and the Elizabeth A. Long Professor of Law at the University of Michigan Law School
Affiliated Professor, Sciences Po Law School; Associate Law Professor in Private Law and in Labor & Employment Law Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers
Academic Director, Legal Clinic Program, University of Valencia, Spain
Founding Director & Senior Research Fellow, Business in Society Institute University of California, Berkeley Law
Director of Workplace Equality and Senior Counsel,
National Women’s Law Center, Washington, D.C.
United for Respect, New York
Senior Counsel, Labor and Employment Law,
Law Offices of Amy Oppenheimer, Berkeley
Partner, Outten & Golden LLP,
UN Women Executive Coordinator and Spokesperson on Sexual Harassment and Discrimination
United Nations, New York
Professor of Law, Discrimination and Equality Rights,
McGill University, Montreal
Former Director of Federal Contract Compliance (under President Barack Obama’s administration)
Director and Associate General Counsel
Labor and Employment at Facebook
Office Managing Principal
Jackson Lewis, San Francisco
Assistant Director & Assistant Clinical Professor
Peking University of Transnational Law
National Women’s Law Center
• Alameda County Bar Association
• The Bar Association of San Francisco
• California Employment Lawyers Association
• Equal Justice Society
• Equal Rights Advocates
• Fondation des Femmes
• The Labor & Employment Section, California Lawyers Association
• Legal Aid Association of California
• Women in Business Law Initiative (hosted by the Berkeley Center for Law and Business)